Ontario Summer Theatre (formerly ASTRO), founded in 1985, is a network of professional theatres committed to the support, growth, and cultivation of summer theatre in Ontario. By fostering partnerships, developing collaborative marketing strategies, sharing information and networking with a creative and cooperative spirit, we provide vital artistic and economic opportunities for all member theatres.
Members are dedicated to producing quality entertainment and to developing active partnerships in their respective communities in order to enhance both the economic and cultural life of Ontario.
Explore our website, read our blog and engage with us online to discover a world of summer theatre in your own backyard!
To champion the support, growth, and cultivation of summer theatre in Ontario by fostering partnerships, developing collaborative marketing strategies, sharing information and networking with a creative, co-operative spirit. Members of OST are dedicated to producing quality entertainment and to developing active partnerships in their respective communities in order to enhance both the economic and cultural life of Ontario. To this end, members will:
- Maintain a commitment to fostering strong and beneficial relationships within the association
- Support and encourage local and regional artists
- Provide enrichment and educational opportunities for all members through resource sharing, work-shopping and mentoring
- Cultivate meaningful and viable community and industry partnerships
- Grow and expand the association both financially and in membership, striving to raise its profile and reach a wider audience
Any theatre company may become a member of OST if it satisfies the following conditions:
- Its mandate includes the production of summer theatre in Ontario.
- It operates as a “professional” theatre company. [**see criteria below]
- It has satisfied these conditions for at least one summer season.
- It must pay an annual membership fee in full, prior to joining.
OST members adhere to the following policies:
- To operate in a professional manner that reflects the best ethical business practices of the profession including non-discrimination in hiring, anti-sexual harassment, and health and safety.
- To support OST by participating in meetings (including an AGM in early October), activities and events and promoting the organization whenever possible.
**Criteria for “professional”:
A company is considered professional if it has paid staff, as well as paid artists, and operates in a manner which is recognized by its peers. Typically, professional artists have completed basic training in their fields, devote a significant proportion of their energies to practicing their art, seek remuneration for their work and are acknowledged as peers by others working in their field.
Those wishing to apply for membership should fill out the form found here.
Applications will be reviewed by the OST Executive at the next meeting, and you will be informed of your status as soon as possible.
If you have any questions regarding membership criteria or your application,
please contact the Theatre Ontario OST liaison at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-408-4556 x.12